Sunday 12 June 2011

New series: Renaissance de la nature


I was pleased to finally get a break from the city and head into the country at Easter to capture some new works.  Since I was eight, my father and I have been camping on a beautiful property in Scone, known as Belltrees (4 hours north-west of Sydney).  The Belltrees property has been owned by the White family since 1831.  My father has actually been camping on this property since he was 17, through a school friend.

I have called this particular series Renaissance de la nature (Rebirth of Nature).  I spent an entire afternoon down by the Hunter River which flows through the centre of the property.  I loved the blades of the last moments of sunlight which pierced through the trees, highlighting fine sections of the swirling water.   

When you sit by the flowing stream up close for some time, each moment seems to flow right into the next.  I wanted to get in between these moments, each twist and collision of water that was occurring in front of me.  I really wanted to use movement and long exposures to help me stretch time and portray the incredible beauty and dynamicism of these extraordinary moments, which are individually unique, yet impossible for the eye to see, let alone process.  I feel that each of these glimpses allows us observe the constant life cycle of nature at its minute level.

No comments:

Post a Comment