Tuesday 29 October 2013

NEW WORK: Manly Beach I, 2013


Manly Beach I  is one of eight brand new works in my latest series of Impressionist works, inspired by Nancy Kilgour’s Impressionist painting, Untitled (figures on Manly beach), c. 1930.  I was drawn to her ability to project the reflective mood and emotional impression of life on Manly Beach.  There is also a prevailing ability in her work to slow time down, which captivated me.

In Manly Beach I, I seek to slow us down to a pace where we can celebrate the overall mood and impression of enjoying life in the sun on Manly Beach.  Using my lens as a paintbrush, I have used a variety of self-taught, in-camera techniques to free light and colour from their living stasis to paint this scene.  

Like all of my work, this photograph is raw and untouched (no Photoshop), producing a fresh, contemporary twist to modern day Impressionism and Pictorialist photography.  Limited Edition of 10 Archival Prints.

The full series of Manly Beach will be released in November 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment